/> Raising Angels: Running High

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Running High

It's T-minus 4 days or so until the big race...the one I've been training for since May, the one I thought I'd never do once let alone for the third time.

We did the last big race before the race on Saturday. It was a little 10K since we're supposed to be tapering this final week to rest up for the big day. With my ITB issues I almost skipped the race so I wouldn't get depressed and scared about the half. However, keeping with the "I'm not a quitter mentality" and because it was for a good cause, AND because it marked the beginning of the end, I decided what the heck.

Saturday the weather was gorgeous and the race had a good turn out. I decided to try to push myself a little, not full out mind you, but just a little. For the first 2 miles I kept up with 2 ladies much faster than me but after that they pulled ahead and I never caught up.

I did, however, have several personal victories. I actually passed a few people on the course who never passed me again. I also turned in a PR (not speedy, but a personal best for a 10K), and I placed third in my age group.

After the race I texted my brother/training coach to tell him that I finally understand why people like running. It felt good to know that when I work at it, I can get a little faster. My legs weren't in excruciating pain (first 6 are usually my best and it goes downhill from there; it's the last 5.1 that kill me). I was on cloud nine.

What this means for Sunday I'm not sure. Either God is going to heal my legs and I'll get to see my goal of running one half marathon without pain come to fruition, or they are going to hurt so bad that I won't be able to lift them and I'm going to have to figure out a way to cross that finish line with my head still held high. It's really in God's hands now and I trust that, as always, His plan is best.

Last night on our group run, a family of five deer ran across the path less than 5 feet in front of me. It was amazing! I could hear their hooves on the path. I'm taking that as some kind of sign. For what I don't know. If nothing else, running draws me closer to God and that's never a bad thing.

6 Comments:

Blogger nicole said...

Way to go! PR are always worth noting. That is what is so great about running--you really can make it individual while still doing it with other people. I can't wait to hear how the half goes.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Congrats!! I hope that your race this next weekend goes well for you. I will be praying it is pain free.

I read a comment of a previous post of yours and I have to second the whole barefoot running idea. I have had injury after injury and I started running barefoot, in vibram fivefingers or minimalist shoes for months now and have had no problems. It is not something you can just start doing at the milage you are at. You literally have to start over again and build back up until your feet get used to it. But, it is worth it, from my experience.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Kelly said...

So cool! On foot or on a bike, you do see things you never notice in a car.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Alright ladies, I'm totally sceptical about the barefoot running thing. I have been having foot problems for years now. My feet hurt just walking around in bare feet and I do it alot. I don't know how it's going to help running.

Did either of you have any problems with your feet when you weren't running?

9:53 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Amy- I have never had problems barefoot and 90% of the time I am barefoot (I am a stay at home mom and do not like shoes!).

If you want to ask someone who may know a bit more, I would checkout the Runner's World website. Got their forums section. There is a barefoot running forum on there.

1:41 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

I don't run barefoot, but my BIL and Husband do. They did not have foot problems. There is a whole online culture for barefoot running.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home