/> Raising Angels: Tis the Season to be Giving...of Ourselves

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Tis the Season to be Giving...of Ourselves

Tonight, on the rare occasion of Nelson and I actually eating alone, we had the opportunity for lengthy discussions...just him...and me. It was a gift from a dear friend who offered her time to watch my kids for a few hours so I could finally get to grading the research papers that have been hanging over my head for the past month.

"While I'm here," she offered as I grabbed the papers and my keys, "why don't you and Nelson go out for dinner?"

I was amazed and in awe of her generous offer. It is no easy task to cook dinner while entertaining four little ones but she insisted and so I accepted.

As I sat in the coffee shop grading my papers, I was amazed at the self-sacrificing nature of others. There are actually people out there who are in it to help others simply because they want to. Not because they are paid or have anything to gain, but because, out of the kindness of their hearts, they choose to put others before themselves.

The Advent season is a good time to dwell on this. Think of Mary, young and virginal. Think about poor, unsuspecting Joseph. Think about our Savior, born in a stable and placed in a manger. Seems putting others before yourself is a prevalent theme this time of year.

And now I'm wondering, what I will do to put others before myself during this busy season. How will I lay down my itinerary for someone else's needs?

How will you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home