/> Raising Angels: Our Family Tree

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Our Family Tree

Today I got to see a Christmas tree decorated beautifully. Every ornament was in the same two color families. There were red wooden beads hanging from the branches. It looked like something out of a Pottery Barn catalog.

This evening we gathered as a family to decorate our tree. We each have our own box of ornaments collected over the years. We all have ornaments that have been handmade. I'm talking the over-sized, hang in the back of the tree variety. We also ornaments from all the places we've traveled, ornaments that represent every hobby we've ever tried, ornaments noting pregnancies, ornaments with our names plastered on them.

In short, what I realized tonight as I gazed at my family's faces glowing in the tree lights is that that tree is our history. It shows me who we are, how we've grown, where we've been. And that is why I think our tree is the most beautiful of all.

1 Comments:

Blogger nicole said...

Ours too. There are quite a few cheap, color-it-yourself ornaments on our tree from years past when I have needed an activity for the kids. We have very pretty ornaments that were given to us or we bought. It is a haphazard collection and the arrangement on the tree is not what I would have done, but it reflects who we are and that is what is most important.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home