/> Raising Angels: A Purposeful Reminder

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

A Purposeful Reminder

Some days I feel conflicted about this online journal of mine. The main idea for me is to keep a log of my feelings about my life experiences with my children and the things that they say and do. I have not been faithful to baby books or picture albums for years now so this is it for them and I want it to matter. When I'm no longer around, I want them to have a real sense of who I am...or was.

However, because I've chosen to do this in a public setting, there are some feelings and situations that I can't mention. Of course in taking into account other people's feelings, I often can not talk about my own. It's an interesting situation for sure.

On the other hand, I think that because I'm forced to temper myself, what they will see here is the best version of myself. Granted, it may not be the most truthful version, but let's face it, is that what we really want anyone to remember about us?

Bottom line - I hope to live long enough to tell them all these stories myself and that this little blog will be a nice addition to the mother that they know and will never forget.

4 Comments:

Blogger Life in the Fifties said...

Now I feel like I'm spamming your blog, but this is actually a topic which has been in my thoughts for a while and I will eventually do an essay on it. I am concluding that our deepest, most intimate thoughts are rarely appropriate for discussion, and that's just as well. It does not make what we choose to say any less authentic. In fact, it is another indication of character that we can temper ourselves. Our children, when they age and read something you wrote years ago about "Aunt Millie" and remember the pain in the butt Aunt Millie actually was and see the kindness you show in your depiction of her, will help them understand that was a choice and our calling is to temper ourselves. Anyone's writings are biased in their presentation in some way. It's the responsibility of the readers to exercise discernment and judgment in absorbing what they read. This is true with letter, media articles, textbooks, etc. and our children should be reminded of that. Think of the Gospels, where the same event is described differently, but the different descriptions are no less true. What you write is a flash of who you are but cannot be fully understood out of context. Ok, that's long enough.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I have thought about this too!!! I haven't commented in a while, Amy, but I still love your blog and read it often! You're a dear.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Amy, I love reading your blog. I always get a sense of peace and security. I know you don't feel that way all of the time, but you really cherish the good and the bad. You aoppreciate the samll things in life and are greatful when good things happen. I envy you your faith in mand and God. I am thankful to have your friendship and this blog to read. Keep up the good work, and call me to child sit if you need a break.
Love to all, Laurie

12:06 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks for the encouragement ladies.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home