/> Raising Angels: Share Your Wisdom

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Share Your Wisdom

Since I've started training again I have discovered (actually, I think I've always known and have just chosen to ignore it) that early mornings are the best time to run. Down here in the hot, hot South, it is a lot cooler at 6 AM than 7 PM. I find it's safer to run alone at this time because most trouble makers are going to bed about the time I head out. The kids and Nelson are all in bed when I leave so I don't miss anything and don't need a sitter. It also feels great to get it out of the way for the day.

Unfortunately, all of these reasons, although they are logical and true, do not turn me into a morning person. It is a struggle for me to get out of bed every morning. Since I've started raising these little angels, I am always tired. Of course this is largely due to the fact that I can't manage to get myself into bed before midnight (I think of 11 PM as a personal victory).

Even though I am getting up much earlier than normal most mornings, I still can not find enough hours in the day to get everything done. Most nights by the time I get the kitchen in order and fold the laundry (or whatever chore), it's after 10. And I don't even work outside of the home.

Besides the fact that I'm absolutely exhausted on a regular basis, I'm loving the early morning starts. I just need some suggestions/ideas/discipline for how to get myself to bed earlier before I end up permanently sleep deprived and grouchy.

Anyone?

6 Comments:

Blogger the holly said...

i'm with you! its never done. and i've had to let go of lots of my own standards just to have some sanity. its more important for me to play with my kiddos when i get home from work than clean their rooms. but i also have to acknowledge that the mess creates stress for me. ahhh...the joys of a full house!

9:51 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

You are doing great just to get up. I'm so spoiled by my gym membership. I just run on the treadmill most days. I really don't have any suggestions to get you into a better evening routine. I'm terrible about staying up too late too.

12:18 PM  
Blogger Life in the Fifties said...

Take a week and jot down what you're doing every evening from 9:00 on, and don't cheat. Then move some of those things to morning or mid day or on to someone else's to-do list. Hint: Only post on your site before supper! And then don't replace the things you've moved. As much as we hate to admit it, what we do is rarely so important it can't wait, and regular rest makes an unbelievable improvement in our days.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Heather Raven said...

Well this may be obvious, but you just have to make yourself go to bed. I find that 10 is a great bedtime - when babies are sleeping through the night that is - 8 hours of sleep helps me to get in gear and move all day. You could always try Paul's schedule. He gets up at 4:15 and runs. There is no sun, and nobody on the road, except for prayerwatch. And by the way, I wouldn't get up at 4:15 or even 6 am if someone paid me and/or held a gun to my head. Props to you.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks for the suggestions, encouragement and understanding. Life in the Fifties - very good idea. I'm going to try that...I'm afraid of what I might find:) I have a vision though - picturing myself in the bed at 9:30 reading by the lamp with a cup of hot tea. AH...I'm relaxed already.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Life in the Fifties said...

So have you done it yet? What's the verdict? If you tell, I'll confess, too!

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home