/> Raising Angels: Sometimes All Jesus Asks...

Thursday, January 11, 2007

Sometimes All Jesus Asks...

We attend a Prayer Meeting every Thursday night as a whole family. It consists of an hour and a half of good old fashioned prayer and praise. The last two years have been a challenge to me as my husband almost always works late and I have to tote all three little ones by myself. I used to love it and I still do...it's just really hard to pay attention while trying to keep all three quiet during the quiet times. It's not been easy but I continue to go because the kids love it.

Tonight the music and songs turned more reflective for awhile. That's always the biggest challenge. People around me seem to be so into the Lord while I'm answering a million and one questions from the kids, taking them to the bathroom, doling out snacks and colors, etc. Tonight I was really asking God to speak to me in the midst of the distraction of my children. I was singing whole-heartedly to Jesus and then I stepped on some coloring books and a toy plane. I looked down to see Mackenzie dancing with a friend, Dawson playing with a lion, and Aiden coloring.

Then God told me to look more closely. He told me to look at their surroundings. Then He told me that it didn't matter so much what I was getting out of these meetings at this point. I have my faith. I know God is real whether I "feel" Him or not. My children however are at very formative ages. They are like sponges, soaking up everything around them. They are being raised in the true presence of Jesus. When they come to mass (even if they spill Cheerios :)) or prayer meetings, He doesn't expect them to enter into worship like the adults. When Jesus said, “Let the children come unto me,” He didn’t put forth any stipulations. He didn’t lay out a set of expectations or a how to list. He just wanted them to be close to Him – in His presence.

After the meeting Mackenzie ran to me almost breathless from the dancing and said, “This was the BEST prayer meeting ever!” And you know what, she was right. It wasn’t the best because of perfect behavior. It wasn’t the best because of an immaculate row of chairs and floor beneath us. It was the best because we were there. And sometimes that’s all Jesus asks of us.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMEM!!!!!

11:13 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

Thanks for that. It was so encouragaing. I often remind myself that God knows we are there, regardless of whether or not we hear a word of the Homily or can say one thing about the readings. His Grace is present and works in us, because He wants it to, not because of anything we say or do. Sounds like you have "church babies" like me! Always at home in church, which is exactly the way I like it.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Let's hope it always stays that way.

11:03 PM  
Blogger My name is Dianna said...

I couldn't have said it better! I had the very same realization thurs. night. Though I was throuroghly exhausted from the day and contemplated not going because of how I felt physically, I did it and once again I was blessed beyond measure. You encourage me Amy! You make me want to be holy. Thanks!

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home