/> Raising Angels: Aiden's BIG Christmas Surprise

Friday, January 05, 2007

Aiden's BIG Christmas Surprise

Every once in awhile I get really inspired with a gift idea for someone I love. This year, Aiden was definitely the winner.

One day, a few weeks before Christmas, I was driving down the road thinking about what I wanted to get the kids. Mackenzie's big surprise would be a real pair of boots - something she didn't think to ask for but I knew would be a hit. Dawson needed dinosaurs. And, Aiden, well he needed a school bus.

Over the last year, Aiden has fallen head over heals in love with school buses. He can spot them from miles away and squeals with delight when he does. He screams, "Look Mama! School bus!" over and over until I acknowledge that I see it too. We live only a few miles from the county school bus parking place so we see a lot of school buses every day. About a month before Christmas we were at a light in front of a school just as it let out and we counted 8 buses in a row. You would have thought he died and went to Heaven.

I had been searching every store and looking online to find him the perfect toy school bus but nothing was standing out. Then, I had an epiphany of sorts. I saw a school bus drive by and thought, 'Wouldn't it be great to give Aiden a bus RIDE for Christmas.'

The more I thought about it, the more excited I became. Then, I really started thinking about how I could make that happen. I knew that there would be no way to get a real yellow city school bus to give one little three year old a ride. But, wouldn’t it be great to not only get him a ride but get him a ride on Christmas! Hmm…Mackenzie goes to a small private school - the school I graduated from, the one I taught at, the one my daughter now attends. Hey, I know the guy in charge of the buses. And…I know lots of bus drivers. The wheels were turning and my face was beaming. I could feel it.

Over the next several days I made some phone calls and office visits. One school bus loaned on Christmas morning – check. One bus driver willing to not only drive the bus Christmas morning but volunteering to put on a Santa hat and beard – check. One excited mama – double check.

When the big day finally arrived, I was more excited than any of the kids. I couldn’t wait. As we were opening presents, the big bus pulled up. We heard it arrive and told Aiden to come look out the window. He reached the window just as Santa stepped out of the bus.

Oh the look on his face was priceless! Santa came to the door and asked for Aiden and then led him onto the bus. There he was, all alone in that huge bus looking out of the window, grinning from ear to ear and waving like crazy. It was GREAT, just as GREAT as I had hoped for. We all joined him for the ride and all of the kids had a good time but Aiden was thrilled beyond measure.

I am eternally grateful for our “Santa” who sacrificed his Christmas morning to make one little three year old’s dream come true. He went above and beyond the call of duty and cheerfully ho-ho-ho’d his way through the pouring rain. I am also grateful for a school that allows buses to be borrowed. Most of all I am grateful for the divine inspiration that began it all.

It was indeed a very merry Christmas!

2 Comments:

Blogger nicole said...

What a fantastic idea! That is sure to be a lasting memory for him. And, should he become a dad one day, will surely inspire him when thinking of gifts for his children. So great!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

I hope he does one day, although he's already talking priest after seeing his Uncle Aaron serve as a Deacon. Thanks!

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home