/> Raising Angels: Rome Trip: Day 3, Part 2

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Rome Trip: Day 3, Part 2

The Basilica of St. Francis was incredible. It was enormous and contained many treasures and works of art. Among the most notable were frescos of the most famous image of St. Francis as well as one of St. Clare.
The art was fantastic but the most meaningful thing there was the ability to pray at the sarcophagus containing the bones of St. Francis. I know the whole Rome trip is beginning to sound a bit morbid with all the bones but trust me, there is something very powerful about being that close to saints.

We also visited the Church of St. Clare where we knelt in front of the San Damiano cross. It was this cross from which Jesus spoke to Francis and told him to rebuild his church. We also saw the incorrupt body of St. Clare.
The last stop of the day was the Church of St. Mary of the Angels, which was built with the primary purpose of protecting the tiny Church of the Porziuncola. I wish I could show you a picture of this because although it's the tiniest church in Assisi, there is something very special about it. It is here that St. Francis began his rule. Here that St. Clare took her vows to follow that rule. Here that Francis wanted to be brought when he thought it was time to leave this world.

It is an amazing, wonderful place. So, when you have saved your money and make your pilgrimage to Rome, take a day out and take the train to Assisi. You won't regret it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Blair said...

Wow, I've seen your blog a few times, but what a great time to visit again! My husband and I went in Dec-Jan 01-02, and it's wonderful to see some of those places again! I am dreaming of another trip one day...maybe for a friend's ordination in 3 years. I have one pic from when we met JPII on my blog from the other day. Thanks for sharing your trip!

12:14 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

I visited your blog. Wow! Amazing. Hopefully I'll be that close one day.

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home