/> Raising Angels: Papal Dreams

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Papal Dreams

My life time dream has been to kiss the Pope's ring. We got up before dawn, waited in the rain and raced to these seats. Look closely. That’s us behind his right shoulder. We were as close as our tickets allowed.

I just knew that this would be my moment. I knew he was going to reach out to me. I knew it until the end as I watched him drive down the stage and turn in the opposite direction to shake the hands of the people sitting on the other side of the square.

It was the closest I have ever been and may ever be to the Holy Father. It was very exciting, even though I was very disappointed about the whole kissing the ring thing. I guess when you dream big, you crash and burn sometimes.

But then, I was in Rome. I was within an arm's reach of him. I cried when he drove by and waved. And I was one of literally thousands there to see him. Those who say the Catholic faith is dead have obviously never been to a Papal Audience. How blessed I am to be a Catholic.

Our last night in Rome, we walked one last time through St. Peter's Square to look on the grandeur that is St. Peter's. We looked up to notice that the Pope's bedroom light was still on. The three of us stood under that window and yelled at the top of our lungs, "We love you, Your Holiness! Good night!"

Mackenzie wasn't convinced he had heard so we yelled it again. He never looked out but I'm sure he felt the love. As we were walking away Mackenzie asked if we could bring the Pope some gelato. To prove that I am always the eternal optimist we actually stopped by the Vatican gate and asked the Swiss Guard if we could bring the Pope some gelato. He didn't let us in but he did get a good laugh.

Maybe one day I'll get to meet him up close and personal. If I do, I'll probably bring him some gelato.

3 Comments:

Blogger Celeste Creates said...

How incredibly exciting! Truly a dream come true!!! Can't wait to hear more of your trip.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Oh, that picture is amazing!!!
How awesome to have been within an arms reach of the Pope. I love the thought of the three of you shouting up to his window...and how SWEET that Mackenzie wanted to bring him gelato!Incredible.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Great picture...

...can you bring ME a gelato? I'm much more accessible than the Pope!

Welcome back!!!!!

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home