/> Raising Angels: Happy Birthday Aaron!

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Happy Birthday Aaron!

Today is my brother's 30th birthday. As a lot of you already know, this is a milestone birthday. It's one that often makes you feel as if you're actually growing old.

For me, number 30 was a celebration. I had achieved a good number of my major goals and heard the answer to most of my prayers. With Aaron, I think it should be much the same.

He is on the verge of his life's vocation. In October, he will be ordained a transitional deacon in the Catholic Church and in June, God willing, a priest. His ordination in October is in Rome...Italy...in St. Peter's no less! What more could you ask for?

In a lot of ways, he is my hero. I can remember the phone call when he told me he was entering the seminary. He didn't want anyone to know because he wasn't sure he was being called to the priesthood. And yet, even though he felt no certainty, he went out of obedience and a willingness to listen to God's will for his life.

Two years of pre-theology and three years of theology later, he knows he is where God wants him. He has a peace about it. He is anxious to get started (and to get out of school and Italy).

How many more priests would we have today if everyone approached praying through his vocation this way? And let me be clear, he's not my hero so much because he's becoming a priest, but because he listened to God and followed His will. I would be proud of him if he decided to come home and get married. I would be proud because as long as you do God's will, you can't go wrong.

Happy Birthday Aaron. May these first 30 years only be the beginning of your lifelong journey with God! I love you.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice touch but one small mistake - he will be ordained a "Transitional Deacon". Permanent Deacons don't become priests.

dad

1:47 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Took care of it. It was late. What can I say?

1:50 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

My sister's 30th birthday was also the 12th!

10:18 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Well then wish her a Happy Birthday too. Tell her I think that the 12th is definitely the best day of any month (mine is July 12th).

11:23 PM  
Blogger Mom said...

Happy Birthday to him! I will be 30 this year too! But I only feel 22.
1976 was a good year!

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home