/> Raising Angels: The Gift of Forgiveness

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Gift of Forgiveness

As a part of my Lenten journey I have been working through a huge "to do" list over the past few weeks. Even though the boys had their Spring Break last week and Mackenzie has hers this week, I've been able to make great headway.

A lot of the list has to do with spring cleaning - not just my house, but my heart. At the top of the list today was Confession. Somehow, I managed to miss every Penance service this Lent and I really wanted to go before Easter. Both of the boys were in school today so it was my perfect and only real opportunity between now and Sunday.

Mackenzie and I arrived at the church at 11:30 on the dot, right when Confession begins. I've been to this weekly Confession time before and have never seen more than four people in line. When we walked in, there were already 20 people waiting.

My heart sank. They were preparing for a funeral mass at 12:15 so I knew that father would not go over the time. I got in line anyway with desperation and a little hope. Maybe people would go fast.

Five minutes later the same person that was in when I arrived had not emerged from the confessional. I stood in line praying for a miracle.

Almost immediately an usher tapped me on the shoulder and said that another priest was here for the funeral and would hear confessions until mass began. I was the second in his line.

When it was my turn, I tried to make it quick in order to allow the people behind me the same opportunity I had been given. Father was quick as well. For a brief second I felt a twinge of disappointement. It was not the profound moment I was hoping for.

However, as knelt down to begin my penance, I realized the most profound thing of all. I had been given absolution for my sins. No matter how I felt, the truth was that the sacrament was there just the same. What's more is that even though I am a worthless sinner, God allowed me the opportunity to make confession when it didn't seem possible.

For me that was the greatest gift of all. Once again God proved to me that He can not be outgiven. My measly and last minute effort became beautiful because of His grace. That's just how much He loves me. It's what Lent is really all about.

Thank you Jesus for the gift of today. For the sacrament of Penance. For Your limitless forgiveness. For the ultimate sacrifice of Your death on the Cross that made all of this possible.

I love being Catholic!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home