/> Raising Angels: The Season of Summer

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Season of Summer

The end is near. No worries though, the sky is not falling.

School ended for Max two weeks ago and Friday is the big kids last day before summer break. There was a time, not so long ago when the arrival of this season made me start to hyperventilate just a bit. Three months with no planned outside activities and three kids under 5 made me a little nervous. Those were the days when I packed all three of them up and went to the pool almost every day of the summer...even though only one of them could swim.

These days it's more of a mixed bag of emotions. I still get a little nervous because I have to take all four of them to the grocery store which always takes more time and money. It's amazing what we "need" when the helpers are involved. I get weary thinking of the days that are so hot that no one can go outside.

Mostly though I'm relishing the idea right now. I love not rushing everyone out the door in the morning. I totally dig eating dinner a little later and letting the kids play outside after we're finished. Vacations are actually fun and somewhat relaxing these days. We can take the time to stop and smell the roses, read bedtime stories and stay up late to watch a movie. Summer is time for home cooking class, library visits and art projects.

I've got some major projects on my own "to do" list that require the freedom of summer to accomplish. It sounds like an oxymoron to say that I'll have more time but I think this will be true to some extent. This, in large part, is due to one very important factor. I don't volunteer during the summer.

Don't worry, I still do the run of the mill meal for someone in need and little acts of kindness here and there; but, I don't take on big projects or tasks. When they ask for volunteers for Vacation Bible School, I duck my head. Shoot, I don't even attend the adult Bible study that occurs during the time the kids are there. I don't organize parties (except for the numerous summer birthdays we have), don't fund raise, and don't put myself in charge of anything. There, I said it! During the summer, I am a bum.

It's not that I'm lazy. It's not that I don't love to serve. Quite frankly though, by the end of the school year, I'm just about all served out. I don't volunteer during the summer for sheer self-preservation. Like the kids, I need some time to recuperate, relax and refresh my spirit. This decision enables me to do what I do the rest of the year.

I have friends who seem to be in charge of everything...all the time. I don't know how they do it. I am tempted at times to follow suit, but I have learned my breaking point and when I miss it, it ain't pretty.

We have a full agenda for the summer. There are camps, weddings, vacations, trips and activities, but they are our choices. We will have lots of time together and it will be good.

And when it's done, I will be ready for schedules and time apart, and that will be good too. To everything there is a season. This season is summer and I have my flip-flops, sunscreen and grill tools ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home