/> Raising Angels: The Perfect Gift

Monday, January 03, 2011

The Perfect Gift

This morning I woke with a rather sick feeling in my stomach. I did not want to go back to real life. I had hoped that over the break I would get some needed rest and relaxation. I got a lot of fun and time with family but not relaxation. In fact, the week of Christmas I went several days averaging about 4 hours of sleep a night just trying to catch up with all of the holiday things that needed to be done that I couldn't get to while working.

So this morning I was tired, and like the kids, I did not want to go to school. Interestingly enough, I had jury duty. So, on top of everything else, I had to do all my lesson plans and line up childcare for the week. I arranged for subs for everyday just in case I end up on a jury and I got my kids covered all but one day with the help of my mother-in-law and cousin. It's a lot of work to change your life for a week.

I made it to the courthouse with time to spare and as I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed it was eerily vacant save for a few cars. I checked my summons to make sure I was in the correct place. Indeed I was so I got out of the car and followed another gentleman up to the doors which were...locked. "It's a holiday," said the man. "They're closed."

"But my summons says the 4th," I said in dismay.

"Right," he acknowledged, "except today is the 3rd."

I walked away a little put off by my own mistake. As I got back into the car I slowly began to realize what had just happened. I had the day to myself. I had asked Nelson's mom if she minded if I ran a few errands before coming home and she graciously gave me the go ahead. I called Nelson and told him what I had done and he encouraged me to take the day off and enjoy it.

As I drove away from the courthouse, tears streamed down my face. I was overwhelmed by God's generosity to me. I realized I had done nothing to deserve this gift, and yet, God had given it to me. He knew all the circumstances and had me make this mistake for my own good. He had brought my Christmas gift in an unexpected moment and caught me completely off guard. I felt as if I was being physically washed in His peace.

I spent the day leisurely making some exchanges. I met Nelson for lunch at a totally fun sushi place and sat and talked to him for an hour. I took the time to let people at the mall help me. I picked up groceries and made my meal for the neighbors and got it delivered so they'd have it tomorrow. And, at the end of the day, I felt like a new woman.

They always say that God never gives us anything we can't handle. There are moments, however, when it feels as if God thinks I'm a little stronger than I really am. Yet, just when I think I'm at my breaking point (and sometimes after I feel I've already snapped), He does something like He did for me today. He gives me exactly what I need just at the moment I need it the most and it's more than enough. It pushes me forward and gives me the strength to carry on.

And that, my friend, is why I love my God and I know that He loves me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home