/> Raising Angels: How Does My Garden Grow?

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

How Does My Garden Grow?

I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about gardening. I have had gardens before but I still don't claim any knowledge at all. However, for some strange reason, I love planting things and watching them grow. I don't really even mind the weeding. There's something therapeutic about having a reason to be outside getting my hands dirty.

Saturday I planted a few black-eyed susans that a neighbor was throwing out. This afternoon I planted a few day lilies that someone on my street had put out to the curb for the trash. I have no idea what color they will be or if they'll even grow, but at no cost I figure I can't lose.

There I was piddling in the flower beds when an overwhelming sense of gratitude hit me. My beds were going to be fuller this spring and hopefully more beautiful because of the generosity of others. I truly felt as if I had hit the jackpot. I had more than I could plant at one time and I didn't have to pay a dime.

I think my life is a little like my flower garden. Most of the time I don't know what I'm doing other than praying that I somehow keep myself in the center of God's will...you know, not kill anything. Like my flower beds, sometimes I succeed and sometimes I don't. However, when I let other people in my life - their wisdom, their generosity - it makes me a more beautiful person. It allows a little cross pollination and encourages growth.

And the best part is it doesn't cost a thing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home