/> Raising Angels: I've Got the Power

Monday, April 27, 2009

I've Got the Power

My baby is having surgery tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. to have tubes put in his ears. They say it is routine. Other parents tell me it's no big deal. There's a rational part of me somewhere in here that knows they are right. I know it's what's best for Max. I'm hopeful that the constant ear infections and pain that he's experienced for a large part of his little life will finally be over.

Then there's that darn emotional part of me that envisions someone taking him out of my arms to put him to sleep on a cold table and operate on him without me anywhere near him. That's the part I do not like.

As a parent I have already had plenty of opportunities to realize that there are times in my children's lives when I am totally helpless. There will be pain they experience that I cannot save them from. There will be mistakes they make that will bring on consequences I cannot stop. There will be all too many times when my hugs and kisses won't heal the hurts.

It's a horrible feeling that helplessness. As parents we tend to want to be superheroes where our kids are concerned. But even as I dwell on these feelings I realize that I am not really helpless at all. I have a power that will heal the pain, forgive mistakes and save them from oh so many things. I have Jesus.

And so tonight, as I toss and turn I will offer up some prayers. Tomorrow as the tears come, as I know they will, I will pray. I will not be helpless. I will fall on my knees and ask Jesus to be with my baby when I can't. I will ask him to give precision to the surgeon. I will ask him to heal my son.

I don’t know how people get through this life without Jesus. I’m awfully glad I don’t have to!

2 Comments:

Blogger nicole said...

I hope it all goes well. My fourth baby had to have tubes put in right around his first birthday. I was so glad it would help his ears, but it was very hard to just sit while he was in another room. I know you'll be giving Max extra snuggles and kisses today.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Indeed I did!

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home