/> Raising Angels: Rome Trip: Day 2

Monday, October 16, 2006

Rome Trip: Day 2

Ahhh, Roma! You could stay in this city for an entire month and still not experience all of its history. We, however, tried to squeeze as much as possible into the seven full days we were there. Monday began with a tour of ancient Rome with our own personal tour guide, Pablo. He is a seminarian who is from our diocese and just happens to have a degree in history. His knowledge and obvious love of this city enriched our experience.

I know there's no need to point this out, but that's the Coliseum behind us.


This is Constantine's Arch right in front of the Forum. The history lesson we heard here was fascinating but much too long to write about.


From there we went down into the Mamertine Prison. This is the cell where both Peter and Paul where held before their deaths. You can actually touch the stone to which they were chained. It was a very powerful experience. Peter was only held here about 24 hours, but in that time he managed to convert his guards. While he was praying for them and the ability to baptize them, a well sprung up through the prison's stone floor. It's still there today. That's what I'm dipping my hand in. Amazing!


That afternoon we went on the Scavi Tour, led by my brother, who has been giving these tours for the past three years. Let me say that if you do get to Rome, and you should, you need to put this tour on the top of your list. It takes you down beneath St. Peter's Basilica. You get to walk the same ground the saints did.

The tour is a spiritual CSI episode explaining how the church found Peter's bones. The whole story is fascinating but I can't give it away. You'll just have to go see it yourself. If it helps, I'll tell you that the tour ends right in front of the bones of Peter. Talk about some powerful prayer time! It's a truly spiritual experience - one that doesn't allow you to take any pictures.


On the way out we did sneak a photo with a Swiss Guard. They're not supposed to pose for pictures with people but they were very kind to stand still in the background for us. The coolest thing of all was that as we walked out, they saluted my brother. They do that to all priests and seminarians.

And here's an interesting fact about Rome. The city has water springing out from all kinds of things like walls, columns and statues and almost all of it is potable. It comes from the mountains and is cold, clean and refreshing after miles of walking.
That night we went to Aaron's favorite pizza place in town and then walked that off by visiting the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. Legend has it that if you throw a coin over your shoulder into the Trevi, you'll come back to Rome. So far, it's worked for me every time. And, I had to try it again because I am determined to kiss the ring of the Pope one day.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

You all seem like such nice folks. It is so nice to see such a happy family. Best wishes!

10:31 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I love hearing about your trip. It sounds unbelievable. I'd love to see it all for myself some day!

11:24 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I am very jealous!! I hope my husband gets stationed overseas in the next few years, and Rome is at the top of the list for places to visit if given a chance.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Eric, thanks for the kudos.

Melissa, you may be sick of it by the time I'm finished!

Michelle, let me know if you get there. I have lots and lots of info to share.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home