/> Raising Angels: Degrees of Separation

Monday, January 11, 2010

Degrees of Separation

Last Friday we started school one hour late because of the threat of increment weather. I arrived a bit before then and walked into the office with the principal to find out how long my class would run.

"Well let's see," he said, wondering himself how to refit the schedule, "we're starting an hour later but we cut out assembly so that means we're only about 20 minutes behind."

I could see the wheels turning in the mind of this resident math expert. He continued on, "Let's just cut that out of the morning classes. So that means about 5 to 10 minutes out of the three morning classes. And we still have the breaks."

He went on some more but I have to admit that I totally tuned him out. I was still on a high from the Alabama victory the night before, not to mention working on about 5 hours sleep. It really didn't matter to me how he worked it out, I just needed to know when to end my class.

Unfortunately, while I was tuned out, he had scribbled the adjusted schedule down on paper and handed it to me. "Does this look right to you?"

Stunned for a moment as I tried to clear my vision enough to see the numbers...forget about figuring them out, I asked, "Why are you asking me? Shouldn't you ask A.? He's the math teacher."

The principal quickly replied, "I'm asking you because you're the one with the master's degree. You're a smart young woman."

"D.," I calmly interjected, “I have a master’s degree in school counseling.” Then placing my hand on his arm, I looked him in the eye and asked, “How does this schedule make you feel?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home