/> Raising Angels: A Great Weekend

Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Great Weekend

Yesterday morning when I rolled over in bed after hearing the thuds of my kids bouncing out of bed upstairs, Nelson opened his eyes and whispered, "How 'bout we all go get breakfast together this morning?"

I felt like one of those perfect moms in the commercials (except my hair was far from in place and my PJs not nearly as cute). We gathered up the troops and headed to a local dive for some breakfast food I didn't have to fix myself. I marveled at my little family so well-mannered and talkative. Everyone was happy. Everyone had fun.

We came home and Nelson went out to help the neighbor get his yard ready for a party. I went for a jog while they held onto the monitor listening for Max. I came home to six kids hopping on my trampoline. Other friends were in the yard getting it ready.

I scooped Max up after his nap and I walked outside to see my boys helping Nelson work away. The neighbors across the street were out so we talked for a bit, all of us with babies on hip.

I called another friend because I thought Max might have an ear infection and he voluntarily showed up at my door with medicine bag in hand to check Max out.

Later, we fed the kids, put them to bed, grabbed the monitor and joined the party in the backyard.

Today we came home from church and worked together to surprise the neighbor with a clean up. Our other neighbor came over with his kids and talked awhile. One of my best friends stopped in for a visit. After she left, Nelson and I sat on the back porch for a few hours playing a new game and watching the kids jump on the trampoline.

We cooked out and had my folks over for a picnic in the backyard.

It was all so simple, but it took me no time to see the beauty. This is why we sacrificed the last however many years (Nelson and I differ a bit on the time table) to build this house.

We live in a neighborhood where we actually know our neighbors. Not only do we know them, but we truly love them. They're not borrow a cup of sugar neighbors but I see you need help and I'm here for you neighbors.

I wish everyone had what we have. The world would be a nicer place.

4 Comments:

Blogger My name is Dianna said...

though i am only 100 yards away the new life on your beat is so appealing...totally content here, but you get me?!

1:10 AM  
Blogger Heather Raven said...

Just so you know, we function as fully operational 24 hour grocery store as well, that cup of sugar is always nearby, andthe occasional roll of toilet paper and/or wipes. Just ask Dave and Rose. We love it and you too!!!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

i'm so happy for your great day!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Amy Parris said...

Thanks so much gals!

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home